avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: New Fortress not working
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:10:05 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > However, Fortress's ContextManager doesn't put a "*" in the
> selector, all it
> > puts is:
> >        selector.put( "resource", resource );
>
> Hmm.  that is a problem.  On two accounts:
>
> In Fortress the default selection is "default".
>
> It stems from no formal specs on what is the default.  We can easily
> change what Fortress uses as the "default".
>
> > And the Avalon framework DefaultServiceSelector which is the
> ServiceSelector
> > called above in the SourceResolverImpl code doesn't handle "*".
>  It literally
> > looks for a key "*" which doesn't exist.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Either update Fortress to use "*", or update SourceResolverImpl to use
> "default".

The change mentioned above equalizes the source factory handling which
means sources that wrap a URL are now handled in the same way as
sources that allow access to jar files, webdav etc. This is a long
wished feature which now finally got implemented.

Anyway, the source resolver needs to know what to do with a URI that
has a protocol where no source factory has registered for, for example
you don't want to register a factory for each protocol the jdk already
supports (ftp, http, https etc.)

Therefore the source resolver searches for a default factory; I thought
for this particular cases that "*" is a good choice, because a "real
name", like default could also be used for a protocol. So I choose
a name that is not a valid protocol name.
So I guess updating fortress is the way to go.

Carsten