avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Allows Source objects lifecycle methods?
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:16:46 GMT
Stephan Michels wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to ask about the intention of Source objects. Some time ago,
> the Source allows to use lifecycle methods like configure, compose etc.
> But the execution part in the SourceResolverImpl seems to be droped.
>
> This goes fine for me, but the javadoc told some other things:
>  * When the <code>Source</code> object is no longer needed
>  * it must be released using the {@link SourceResolver}. This is very
> similar to
>  * looking up components from a <code>ServiceSelector</code>.
>  * In fact a source object can implement most lifecycle interfaces
>  * like Composable, Initializable, Disposable etc.
>
> So now I ask for a clarification?

The docs are not that upto-date, but basically a Source can implement
Lifecycle methods - but it's no longer the concern of the SourceResolverImpl
but the concern of the corresponding source factory. So, if your
Source should use lifecycle methods, you have to add this
support in the corresponding factory.
The factory is invoked for creating and for destroying a source object,
so you full control over the source object.

HTH
Carsten