avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [phoenix] Turn on validation by default
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:41:29 GMT
On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 03:17  PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
>>> Can someone go in and turn on schema validation of configuration to
>>> on by default.
>
> Which configuration file?

config.xml

> Are you saying that we'd have to have a RELAX-NG
> (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/) schema for our
> configuration elements?

Yes. Each block would have a schema describing the format that it
expects its configuration to be in.

> If so, you would turn this on by default for the
> current release of Avalon, rather than document how to do it, and
> discuss
> the proper default for v5 based upon real-world feedback?

If it were turned on, documentation would precede it.

> What happens if the validation fails?  Does it warn or error out?
> Have you
> consider the impact on client applications?

The SAR will fail to start, with error information written to the
phoenix log. Different validators provide different levels of detail on
the error (the jing library we use for relax isn't the most
descriptive, but sun's relax verifier is much more descriptive)

So I think the plan of action should be:
  * Make validator not fail when no schema present for a block
  * Document how it all works
  * Then turn it on.

Users would then only be negatively impacted if they have invalid
config info for a block with an existing schema (basically cornerstone
components)
-pete