avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bug report comments requested
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:16:25 GMT
On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 11:03  AM, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> As far as I see it, now it is not possible anymore to distinguish
> between "empty element" (returns "") and "element not present" (returns
> null). Many of our applications use these tests.

Couldn't you test that by doing Configuration.getChild(name, false) to
disable the auto-creation of a non-existent child element?

> Or do you mean that putting xml:space="preserve" at the root element,
> we
> will continue to be able to use these tests without any side-effects?

I believe that will restore the behavior that you are looking for.

> The key question is: can we get the v1.15 behavior back by putting
> xml:space="preserve" at the root node?

I didn't think the 1.15 behavior was to return empty string as the
value for an empty element. I was under the impression that that
behavior was introduced in 1.16 (and thus corrected in 1.20).

> Sorry if I sound confused, I'm just trying to determine, what the exact
> consequences are for our applications :)

No problem :)
-pete