avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A4:Proposal][fortress] refactoring
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:52:03 GMT
On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 09:37  PM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>  Block <-- extends Appliance by (a) doing additional management of
>     its implememntation (where block implementation referes to the
>     components heirachy it is managing), and (b) publishes services
>     established via the implementation as dynamic meta info - i.e.
>     a block transforms itself into a normal component in that it
>     exposed depedencies and services and can be applied as a
>     solution when building other components.  Implemntation of (b)
>     is currently in-progress.

Could one extend a Block to provide a "layer" between its interface as
a component and the components that it manages?

I like the layout (finally starting to pay more attention, head coming
up above the chaos). I'm concerned about the terminology of 'Appliance'
though. Did you pick appliance in that a kitchen is made up of various
appliances?  (Appliance to me brings up images of microwaves,
dishwashers and refrigerators). While they are the (building-)blocks of
a kitchen, I would think that the relationship would be inverted, an
appliance is a block. Just as shelves, counters, cookbooks, utensils
are also blocks, but not appliances.

Could a merlin block be used directly as a phoenix block?
-pete