avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Schier <MSch...@bsquare.com>
Subject RE: [A5:RT] Minimum J2ME Specs and Strategy
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 22:06:49 GMT
CLDC is here to stay, especially on smart-devices and cell phones.  CLDC 2.0
will include floating point arithmetic and is scheduled to be released soon.
>From my experience I agree that the http://java.sun.com/products/cdc/ (+
Personal Profile) is much better suited for a framework like Avalon. In such
an environment you can implement containers that are much more
sophisticated. However, most development is currently going on on CLDC +
MIDP capable cell phones and PDA devices and a framework for componentized
services could be a great product on these platforms.  Please take a look at
http://kxml.enhydra.org/ or MinML.  They could be useful parsers for the
configuration objects.  We could use Tweety as the J2ME container and add
kXML configuration and mandate that all J2ME compliant components must be
thread-safe and we will have our j2me compliant container today.  I think
thread-safety is tolerable in such a constraint environment. (just my 2c)