avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Sutic <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [PMC:VOTE] PMC Voting Process
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:47:51 GMT
Noel wrote:
 > > 2/3 majority is required.
 > > [list of 10 people follows]
 > > Meaning that 5 votes are required for this to pass
 >
 > Last time I checked, 2/3 of 10 meant 7. :-)

Yes, but since it is enough if half of the PMC members vote, it is enough
if 5 of those 10 people cast a vote. Thus, 5 votes are required to keep
this vote from being declared a invalid due to low participation.

Now looking at those five votes, 2/3 of them must be in favor of the
proposal, which means that (2/3) * 5, or 4, of those five votes must be +1.

To reiterate: 2/3 majority does ***not*** mean 2/3 of the Avalon PMC, but
2/3 of those PMC members casting a vote.

I think you confused quorum requirements with majority calculations. Quorum
requirements specify the minimum level of participation required for a vote
to be valid. Majority reqs. specify how many of the participants have to be
in favor for the vote to pass.

EXAMPLES:

The PMC consists of 10 people. I'll give vote counts like this:

  +1 * 2
  +0 * 6
  -1 * 2

meaning that a total of 10 people voted, and that 2 voted +1, 2 voted -1,
and 6 voted +0.

Example 1:

Qualified Majority vote:

   +1 * 6
   +0 * 1
   -1 * 3

The vote does not pass (below 2/3 majority in support).

Example 2:

Qualified Majority vote:

   +1 * 6
   -1 * 3

        One person off on vacation.

The vote passes.

Example 3:

Qualified Majority vote:

   +1 * 4

        Six people off on vacation.

The vote does not pass - insufficient participation.

Hope this clears things up.

/LS