avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/i18n/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/i18n ResourceManager.java
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 03:28:27 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen,
>
>I agree with Peter that it would be counter-intuitive for
>
>  re = ResourceManager.getResources( X.class, Locale.en )
>
>to return anything other than English resources, just because someone else
>called
>
>  rd = ResourceManager.getResources( X.class, Locale.de );
>
>first.  That just seems broken to me.

Broken no - inconsitent yes.
I'll checkout the setting of the gefault locale tomorow and if that
solves the requirements then I'll backout changes.

>If you are saying that once instantiated with a Locale, then subsequent
>calls that explicitly pass a Locale won't be honored, the least that should
>happen is an exception should be thrown.  That is better than silently
>ignoring the request, and returning the wrong data.

What is really needed here is more documentation about the usage of the
manager and the realtionship to the default locale setting.  With that
in place then the problem dissapears.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell