avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Use Maven as official build tool
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:39:52 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> I have yet to take a good look at recent maven and try it out. We have
> four requirements:
>
> 1) be easier than ant to use in addressing our build requirements
> 2) GUMP integration

 From my Maven log:

F:\system\maven\plugins\maven-gump-plugin-1.0

> 3) 'compatible' with forrest
> 4) stability, documentation, etc
>
> I know for certain it satisfies (1). Maven has some cool technology,
> esp Jelly.
>
> wrt (2), I heard something about maven incorporating its own
> integration tool instead of gump, but I also heard of efforts to get
> them cooperating. I think it's vital that there's only one integration
> setup for ASF java software, as the value of integration decreases
> rapidly if less projects join in. If we cannot move to maven and be a
> part of gump that'd change my vote to -1. But I don't think that is
> the case:
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/module_jakarta-turbine-maven.html

In the Maven version I am using there is the ability to declare the gump
repository and gump identifier (I'm using 1.0 beta 7).

> wrt (3), I doubt that it would be that hard (I believe maven provides
> support for ant, so it should provide some support for forrest too).
> If you need to type `maven; forrest;` instead of just `maven`, well, I
> can also live with it.

I can confirm that Maven provides Ant support.

> wrt (4), There's also always the concern that a product you depend on
> is here to stay, stable, contains few bugs, and is easy for our users
> to use. This is important. I think the potential problem here is
> "stable".
>
> I'd planned to delay looking at maven again until beta8. From a quick
> glance at maven-dev (ie I could be wrong), it sounds like more users
> are anxiously waiting for it but it isn't getting here anytime soon
> (there was talks in december, then halfway january, again today...it's
> still in alpha development looking at all the commits).
>
> Most people are currently running maven from cvs head apparently. I
> wouldn't be happy at all if we were to rely on a cvs version of a
> build tool. Just spells disaster.

I not using the CVS version - my own experience using it has has been
really positive.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell