avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: http://avalon.apache.org/
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:55:51 GMT

Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> I would like to get some feedback and opinions about the Avalon
>> webpages bacause I think now is the time to handle any restructing of
>> approach, message, and so on.  I think the historical project
>> oriented approach has left a lot of users confussed and has
>> negivively impacted the take up on Avalon.
>

> Confused users - yes. I'm looking for XYZ, where is it? I'd suggest
> that the website is organized according to package names. If the
> package name is org.apache.avalon.X, then X should be visible on the
> homepage.

Your taking about a large number of projects! Problem here is that the
package names don't provide product structure (for mainly historical
reasons).  I think a little structure around "framework", "containers",
"facilities" and "components" can be provide a real improvement.

> As to functional overview: yes, that would be useful, but who keeps it
> up to date? I'd suggest a homepage, where the functional overview is
> explained in human-readable sentences (similar to the old homepage)
> and that is religiously kept up-to-date. There's not a lot of time to
> keep things current, but that page should be first priority.

I' working on the assumption that it will be feasable to put together an
automated product view - something that looks like:

    http://www.osm.net/technical/avalon/docs/containers.html
    (but with links to dependent packages, docs, dowbnloads, etc.)

My assumption is that this can be automatically maintained based on
package descriptors.  A combination of Mavan (management) and Centerpede
(presentation) should make this possible - and at the same time provide
the framework for relase management.

Cheers, Steve.

> Ulrich
>

> --