avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [A4:Proposal][fortress] refactoring
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:37:45 GMT

Peter Royal wrote:

> On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 08:06  PM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> An alternative approach is Fortress as a container. In this context
>> we would be looking at Fortress implementing the Merlin Block
>> interfaces. This is similar to the above (because Block is an
>> Appliance). The difference between Block and Appliance is that a
>> Block manages a set of contained appliances.
>

> Is the containment hierarchy container -> block -> appliance? Where an
> appliance can be a block and thus it becomes recursive?
> -pete

  ApplianceContext <--- all of the deployment info (config, custom
     context entries, meta, lifestyle policy, lifecycle strategy, etc.)

  Appliance <-- handles deployment and decommisssioning of components
     based on the supplied context in response to access and release
     requests (e.g. Object = appliance.access( this ) returns fully
     established component).

  Block <-- extends Appliance by (a) doing additional management of
     its implememntation (where block implementation referes to the
     components heirachy it is managing), and (b) publishes services
     established via the implementation as dynamic meta info - i.e.
     a block transforms itself into a normal component in that it
     exposed depedencies and services and can be applied as a
     solution when building other components.  Implemntation of (b)
     is currently in-progress.

Thus, yes, it is recusive.

Cheers, Steve.

--