avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs repository symlink
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:25:33 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Symlinks are always dangerous, and I especially worry about them in a CVS
> repository.

didn't know that...hmm. We do have a few, don't we?

> Can we just rename them, and then modify the modules file to
> tell people who try and check out or update jakarta-avalon[-site] about
> the new module name?

sounds good to me, but maybe I'm missing something....avalon
people...objections anyone?

> Should we proceed with relocating other resources to
> avalon.apache.org?

that's our plan, 't is. We're not in a hurry (always lots of things to
do ;). my top-of-head list:

- link/rename cvs
- move some things around in cvs
- steal as much as possible from the ant people; they seem to be
handling their move pretty well ;)
- learn about how the website is published and updated, see if it is
smart & feasible to use forrest
- clean up the website (someone calculated avalon's got an 80 meg
website, somewhat ridiculous)
- move website
- figure out how to properly publish distributions, and where, and what
access it requires
- set up distribution mirroring
- rename mailing lists (someone said somewhere I think that this might
be somewhat difficult; it's not a high priority)

I need to do some reading and figure out some stuff before I can be more
specific; if you feel like being proactive and doing stuff before we
figure out how to do it, great, if not, questions will come in due time!

We're basically in the same boat as ant, and likely james in some time
(all moving out of jakarta). If any infrastructure peeps have some smart
ideas or suggestions on that (or pointers to server layout docs 'n stuff
which I can't really find), they're very welcome.

cheers,

- Leo