avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove all author tags from all source code files
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:30:53 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I am using this case as an example.  Someone removed author
> tags--explicitly Peter D.'s.  Peter D. is currently unable
> to ensure that his author tags remain which he seems pretty
> stuck on.  Removing an author tag without the consent of the
> author is not cool.

At the present time Peter has exactly the same options available to him
as any other Avalon contributor (as distinct from an Avalon committer).

>>If this is the perception of an author's role, it provides
>>excellent reasons
>>for removing the author tag, in my view.
>
> The important thing is that it is done *with* the author's
> consent.

The code is owned by the community.  If the author did not wish the code
to be owned by the community, then the author should not have donated it.

I have contributed patches to various Avalon source files (mostly
build.xml related, or a rare fix to a build failure).  Those were
donations.  Once donated, the onus of ongoing maintenance is transferred
to the recipient.

- Sam Ruby