avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove all author tags from all source code files
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:50:55 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>>
>> Removing the author tags creates a lot of social tension, as you have
>> seen in this discussion.
>

> IMHO this is because there is a problem with them.
> If someone would vote to remove my author tags from all the OS projects
> I'm in, I would certainly not feel attacked.

No, there is a problem with *removing* them.  We are mature enough to
recognize all pleas of "I have the most author tags" as childish.

>> To balance the scale there should be a compelling advantage - but
>> there isn't. The argument "pro removal" centers on social issues just
>> as the "against removal" arguments.
>

> "Social issues" is a very generic term. Let's for example say that I
> should not even touch the gangs in some cities because they could get
> angry.
> I don't buy it. If so much tension creates around an issue, it means it
> should be *resolved*, not *forgotten*

Nevertheless, there is no compelling reason to remove @author tags.  So
I formally make my vote -1.  It is too much disruption and not enough
construction.  It is disruptive to the community to threaten the
recognition of their hard work.  On things like Phoenix and Fortress,
etc., there is no valid reason I can think of to remove author tags.
The code represents various styles of doing things--if there are any
questions as to the internal architecture we need a record of who to
ask.

Non-trivial works like Phoenix, Fortress, Merlin, etc. need to provide
recognition to the authors for more than mere "socialogical" issues.

>> When there's social vs. social, the community loses, no matter which
>> way the vote goes. The only way to prevent community loss is to not
>> make such a proposal in the first place.
>

> I strongly disagree.
>
> Projects at apache are run by consensus, and if the consensus is to
> remove the author tags and you want to keep them, then you should accept
> that and move on. Same for the opposite.

Right, and there is no consensus.  BTW, it would also be a really bad
thing to excersize the "power of the chair" on this matter....

> Think about it.

I have.  The more I think about it, the more I believe the author tags
should remain.

So formally:

-1 on the proposal to remove *all* author tags.