avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove all author tags from all source code files
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:21:42 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:34:32AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>I thought that this issue had been addressed, but I can't find the vote
>>results, if we had a vote.
>>
>>Thus, I'm asking to vote on this issue.
>>
>>Do you want that all @author tags and all reference to authors of source
>>code files be removed from the files themselves? The information about
>>the authors will still be present in commit messages and in the site
>>credits.
>

> I assume this is a majority vote..
>
> -1.
>
> Author info is frequently useful.  Code moves around, and CVS histories
> get lost.

So?

If a file is moved, or it's so new that the original author is working
on it, or it's so old that the community should have gotten hold of it,
hence there is no need to have that info anyway.

> Code gets copied into foreign (non-OSS) codebases.

It's Apache code, the Apache license and a community author tag is enough.

> Also, contributors get a kick out of seeing their name in lights.  I
> remember I did, when I contributed my first OSS patch to Log4j (way back,
> before it migrated to Apache) and Ceki added my name to Category.java.
> It is a small - but to some - important piece of recognition we can give
> to contributors.

This is another issue. We could decide that Avalon committers do not add
author tags but are part of the Avalon Project author tag, and that
instead external contributors do get recognition there.

> Besides, I believe we're all adult enough not to let @author tags get in
> the way of community code ownership.

Why taks the risk?

Moreover, given the above points, it seems that author tags are not
needed, and serve only for recognition. In a community project
recognition is not based on how many author tags there are, so...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -