avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove all author tags from all source code files
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:40:20 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> I thought that this issue had been addressed, but I can't find the
>> vote results, if we had a vote.
>

> I had a look too; we didn't actually vote. There was consensus on doing
> this for avalon-framework, including documentation. There was consensus
> on doing this for Developing with Avalon. For everything else, Peter
> indicated he preferred to wait for <can't remember/>.
>
>> Thus, I'm asking to vote on this issue.
>

> whom are you asking? Committers or PMC? If you're asking the PMC, this
> vote is not valid because there hasn't been a formal proposal first.

Asking Committers.

> If this is not a pmc vote, is it then a "procedural vote" (seems like it
> to me), ie do we then agree we need lazy majority consensus with no
> vetoes applying?

Yes.

> What is the rationale behind your proposal?

The same that applied when we got consensus before. I'm asking to state
that this is something we should abide to rather than just "feel" it.

Code belongs to the community and legally to the ASF. This is to make it
clearer and prevent code ownership problems.

>> Do you want that all @author tags and all reference to authors of
>> source code files be removed from the files themselves? The
>> information about the authors will still be present in commit messages
>> and in the site credits.
>

> what do you mean by "source file"? Java sources, or also all other
> sources, like xdocs and buildfiles?

All source files = java, xdocs, buildfiles, etc.

>> +1
>

> in my capacity as a committer,
>
> +1, if the author information is replaced by "Avalon Development Team"
> or something similar.

Yes, I forgot about specifying this.

+1 to add this part, and +1 to it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -