avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Sevak / Jetty / Serviceable
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:31:24 GMT
Peter,

> This was built primarily for containers that do not have declarations
> on lookup usage (subject to the whole set published in one container).
>
> EOB is like that.  So it is not realy solved, just ignored.
>
> Phoenix, Merline etc are for very fat server components - Mail
> servers, web servers, bean servers etc.
>
> EOB is for comps that enshrine business logic.  Just like EJB.
> Session / Entities.  Choose own persistence mechanisms etc.
> If someone was trying to write a mail server in EOB, they could do it
> but I point them to a server more suitable for the job.
>
> Anyway, business code tends to be all in house.  Contracts can be
> softer as the entire codebase is usually in one source depot.
> Developers will be less pissed off and encountering and eliminating
> "Serivce Not Published" exceptions.

It is equiv to your guys allowing Mailets to be Serviceable (I know, I
know), and tehy could look up other mailets, but not the core of JAMES
.. the comps/blocks that make JAMES itself.

As it happens I have an escape mechanism in EOB to allow that too
sm.lookup("phoenix:BeanRepository"); but I think I should get rid of it.

- Paul