avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Avalon Components
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:57:24 GMT
Nicola,

>> We'd not seen the Tomcat team come to us and say "we love Avalon's
>> ideas but give us a container that we can work with".
>

> IMHO having multiple containers is one of the reasons that stamps us
> as a "research" project, not ready for real-life usage (not true, of
> course, but happens to be percieved). The reasonong is that having
> multiple implementation is the proof that none of them is good enough.

I'll continue in the devils advocate mode a while longer ...

Our problem was that we blurred the name 'Avalon'  We were inprecise
about Avalon-Framework, AvalonX AvalonY etc.

We have no proven need for an UberContainer (as per Agile definitions -
simplest thing et al).  We will shortly be back in the big-plan,
mega-design, architecture purgatory.  Currently we are attacking the CVS
depots.  It's not the first time it has happend twice now in my time.
 I'm going to take a wild guess here that nobody other Stephen (who is
in the joyous position of being paid to work on Open Source, for a
company leveraging that for commercial gain - no 'tools boy' he) has the
bandwidth to do the entire thing.  I;ve already see a cuple of the newer
enthusiasts post tentative "great idea, but I am not sure I have the
time" mails.

A worse sin, not yet quite prevalent here is typical of companies where
some team of new brooms comes in (with lofty architect titles), and take
ten seconds to diss their predecessors work, and suggest complete
rewrite.  I used to be one of them.  Nowadays, I hold this (
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html ) to be a
guiding lesson.  We're not quite the same here, but I feel it was wrong
for us to propose, vote, accept the need for rewrite when we've barely
gathered a community for Avalon-Framework (our principal art).  I
appreciate that we have accpeted that it will happen though.

- Paul