avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Synchronizing James and Cornerstone
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:40:09 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>Gump should have warned us before, but it has not been working
>>for too much time. We have to fix it. Sam is helping everybody
>>to get back to making Gump build everything

[...]
> One should support contracts for as long as possible, even if just for
> binary compatibility.

[...]
>In other
> words, if one is going to change a contract don't do so linearly.  I also
> suggest that such changes only occur on major release boundaries.

Correct. Gump is not the solution, but an early warning system.

>>I have a better idea. We are floating the possibility of opening our
>>Component repository to the projects that are using Avalon, and that
>>would include James. Would that be a deal?
>

> I just starting looking at your proposal.  It sounds as if it basically
> would make Committers from Avalon-using projects Committers on the
> components part of the Avalon landscape, and allow us to commit fixes to
> Avalon components, e.g., Excalibur and Cornerstone.  Of course, you could do
> that simply make us committers on those modules.

Yes. The unification is another aspect of the proposal, more targetted
to the needs of Avalon as a project to reunite in a more coherent vision.

> But we still need to change James because of interface changes, so unless
> Avalon is proposing rolling back those changes (which might be even more
> work at this point), I'm not sure how it is a better idea than updating
> James with Stephen's help.

This proposal is made with in mind a better relationship between James
and Avalon for the future.

I put myself in your situation, and thought that I would never use
Avalon Components again unless I was able to have access to their CVS. I
would also want to veto and revert changes if Gump fails badly, and
partecipate in their life.

Hence the proposal.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -