avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: James / Excalibur ThreadPool conflict
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:04:30 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Pete:
>
> Have finally got to a point where I'm running James inside Merlin again.
>
> But I'm gettig a rather odd exception.  The execution occurs after
> James is established and running (about 30 seconds after).  The
> exception (listed blow) is a NoSuchMethodError - raised when the
> JamesSpoolManager invokes excecute, passing itself as an argument. I
> looked into the sources and CVS history and discovered that
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.ThreadPool.execute() interface was
> changed by you about three months ago - retracting Runnable as a valid
> argument in favour of Executable.  It appears that this breaks James
> (based on the James HEAD and the current ThreadPool source.  What I
> don't understand is how James could be running inside Phoneix without
> problem unless nobody from James has executed a clean checkout of
> Excalibur in the last 3 months.

Some additional observations:

Phoneix is using an old version of the excalibur-thread-1.0.jar (July 2002)

   James is runing againt excalibur-thread-1.0.jar (size 22k) from the
Phoenix distribution
   Excalibur current build of excalibur-thread-1.0.jar (size 32k)
appears to be incompatible

Phoneix gump is based on the current excalibur-thread-1.0.jar (size 32k)

No concrete conclusions from these observations other than the following:

   (a) the current excalibur-thread-1.0.jar does not appear to be
backward compatible
       with the 22k version
   (b) getting James in sync should be a number 1 Avalon priority in
order to get
       concrete feedback on changes we are making (across Cornerstone,
Excalibur
       and Phoenix)

Cheers, Steve.

> Can you or anyone else (Avalon or James) shead any light on this?
>
> Chee rs, Steve.

> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
>   org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.ThreadPool.execute(
>
> Ljava/lang/Runnable;)Lorg/apache/avalon/excalibur/thread/ThreadControl;
>  at org.apache.james.transport.JamesSpoolManager.initialize(
>    JamesSpoolManager.java:246)

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net