avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SMTPHandler
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2003 03:32:54 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Is anyone other than James complaining about the interface change(s)?

Not that I am aware of.

Just for reference do you know where the sources are for the version of
cornerstone.jar in the james/lib distribution.  I can build James
against that version which means that your version is different to the
Avalon version.  It would be useful to know what the differences are.

>>the transition from Composable to Serviceable is not too difficult
>>is just a matter of some specific replacements and a some
>>validatition - the more relavant question is when?
>>

>Well, that's why I asked.  What exactly do we need to do?  We may not do it
>for James v2, but I'd like James v3 (HEAD) to be able to float against
>Avalon.

Here is the replacement list

 1. replace org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException
       with org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException
 2. replace org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Composable
       with org.apache.avalon.framework.service.Serviceable
 2. replace org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentManager
       with org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceManager
 4. replace org.apache.avalon.framework.component.DefaultComponentManager
       with org.apache.avalon.framework.service.DefaultServiceManager
 5. replace org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentSelector
       with org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceSelector
 6. replace org.apache.avalon.framework.component.DefaultComponentSelector
       with org.apache.avalon.framework.service.DefaultServiceSelector

That's about it - then your recompile and sort out any issues - which
basically involve removing all casting and reference to Component
(because ServiceManager.lookup() returns an Object), replacing and state
members that reference Component with Object, and removing Component
import statements.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell