avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SMTPHandler
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:33:39 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Steve,
>
>Is that in the HEAD branch?

Yep.

>I have to update my copy of that.  Been patching up v2 stuff this week.
>
>Speaking of patching ... are you familar with what I need to do to address
>the Avalon changes so that GUMP can build us properly?

Umm ... familiar is not the word that I would use.  I'm was trying to
build james against the cornerstone CVS but there are simply too many
problems and I reverted to the "special" version in the james/lib
directory.  The changes that were applied to Cornerstone several months
ago (retraction of Component, and the replacement of Composable with
Serviceable) simply create too many problems (and this is a build phase
- nothing to do with which container you are using) to spend too much
time on it.

Options are:

  a) we (Avalon) rollback Cornerstone to implement ComponentManager
     + addition of Component to the inhertance graph of
     related components

or

  b) upgrading James to use ServiceManager

I would suggest proceeding with option (b) but to be honest - I have not
been tracking all of the James messages - instead I've been watching the
Mailet API discussions with an interest in ensuring that the concepts
related to containment architectures can fully support the notions of a
"virgin-component-model" - i.e. I'm noty completely up-to-date on the
state of the 2.1 relase.  But anywhay the transition from Composable to
Serviceable is not too difficult is just a matter of some specific
replacements and a some validatition - the more relavant question is when?

Cheers, Steve.

>	--- Noel

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org