avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC:VOTE] PMC Voting Process
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:25:52 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> I tweaked my original "layman text" a bit to describe the actual
>> procedure as we're following it atm. The proposal is we adopt it.
>> Comments welcome; I'll put it up for vote when peeps get back from
>> holiday. (I really feel like wrapping this stuff up sooner than
>> later, but I'm relatively sure Steve'll have something to say ;)
>

> I hereby propose we adopt the text below as a our voting guidelines,
> add these guidelines to the avalon project documentation, to
> completely replace the current (invalid) procedures and policies which
> were voted upon under the thread "[VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and
> Procedures" on the avalon pmc list.
>
> I believe the proposal lays down in clear simple wording the actual
> de-facto practices followed.
>
> I volunteer to administer the vote, add up the results and notify the
> community, and put the document up on the website if it is accepted
> (ie do as described in the proposed text).
>
> Note that although this is a PMC vote everyone is welcome to comment.
>
> PMC members, please cast your votes (on the avalon development list).
>
> here's mine: +1.

And here is my -1

:-)

We have voted on something that describes a set of procedures.  The vote
has passed and has established the framework for how we modify those
procedures.  Sure you can propose a replacement of those procedures (as
opposed to moving forward to address a couple of points raised at the
end of last year). What is import to remember is that the procedures
that we have adopted are very explicit about what we think things are
(right or wrong - they correctly represented what we thought was right).
 Through that process and explicit description Greg picked up on our
missrenterpritation of the defintion of the chair.  He also picked up an
issue concerning an apparent missinterpritation of the chairs rights -
which in fact turn out to be an issue to do with the Board minutes -
identifiable because both out procedures and the board procedures are
using wording that is specific about terms.  Yes - placing a set of
procedures into natural langue makes it easier to ready on a Sunday
afternoon with a class a Chablis - but when something becomes a point of
issue (forget about legal - just think about us and Avalon when we an
order of magnitude bigger than today) then your will be really grateful
for text that is explict about definitions and processes.

This does not negate the need and utility of supporting explanitory text
- but the latter is not equivalent to the former.

Wording such as "invalid" is missleading - heck, based on this guideline
the last board meeting of ASF is invalid - should be conssider that to
be null and void as well ?

I don't think so.  If you wnat make changes - an yes, some changes are
needed - then I would like suggest that we work within the scope of what
has been established both in context and process.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org