avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject [Fwd: Subversion setup on icarus]
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:20:24 GMT
Hi gang,

if we are serious about wanting to move to svn, now is a good time to
try stuff out and provide feedback.

cheers,

- Leo

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Subversion setup on icarus
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 05:55:54 -0800
From: Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org>
To: infrastructure@apache.org

icarus now has a Subversion server running.  It is currently at
r4290.  Clients are at /usr/local/svn-0.17-dev/bin on icarus.
Commons has volunteered itself to be the ASF test drive for
Subversion.  We'll be playing with it over the next few weeks.

There are a few repositories setup right now:

* http://cvs.apache.org/repos/test/
This is a scratch repository.  Anyone can read/write to it.  Use it
to test it out and play with it.

* http://cvs.apache.org/repos/asf/
For now, I think the plan is for this to become the master SVN
repository for the ASF (one repository for the entire ASF).  Not sure
yet though.  This repository is readable by everyone, but requires
authentication for committing.  In order to add yourself, you have to
create an htpasswd entry in /x2/svn/asf-committers in order to commit
(/usr/local/apache2/bin/htpasswd).  Anyone with apcvs privs should be
able to do that.

* http://cvs.apache.org/wiki/
Subversion-based wiki.  We get all of the diff-style changes we've
been asking for if we use this.  It's also written in Python rather
than Perl.  Plus, the Subversion backing repository is at
http://cvs.apache.org/repos/wiki/.  You can directly commit changes
to that repository rather than using the wiki if that suits your
fancy.

For those who hate HTTP and want to cling to SSH tunneling, I'd
recommend checking out ra_svn (go read the Subversion docs on it).
Also, autoversioning support should be enabled, so you should be able
to mount these repositories with WebFolders or whatever DAV client
suits your fancy.  (Mac OS X Finder requires turning on mod_dav_lock
for writability which I haven't done yet.)

I do plan on adding mod_ssl, but no one has stepped up with a
certificate or CA that we should use.  If no one suggests anything
soon, I'll just create a self-signed CA.  Not happy about that, but
if no one else wants it, fine.  (If someone could produce a good
self-signed CA, it'd save me lots of time!)

Let me know if you have questions or whatnot.  This isn't official by
any means, but this is a good time to try Subversion out and get
feedback.  -- justin

.