avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Why J2ME? (was Re: [A5:RT] Minimum J2ME Specs and Strategy)
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:17:41 GMT
Andrzej Jan Taramina wrote:

>David asks:
>
>>I'm not even sure the enterprise sector needs Avalon on a cellphone.  Is
>>this just frivolity that's going to freeze Avalon progress or is J2ME
>>support genuinely useful?
>>

>Per a prior email of mine, Avalon would be VERY useful for embedded
>controller devices (such as manufacturing process control)...in fact, there is a
>sourceforge project that is spinning up to do just that.  It's aims are to make
>embedded programming and integration with enterprise systems (eg. J2EE)
>easier.  Think of small footprint servers....

Is this project http://ichilli.sourceforge.net/ ?

Jumping in this discussion lately, I can only push what you're saying :
although putting a server in a phone may not really make sense, there's
a real need for embedded servers in a lot of non-mobile devices, and I
speak from personal experience in the process automation domain.

Sylvain