avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrzej Jan Taramina" <andr...@chaeron.com>
Subject Re: AW: [A5:RT] Minimum J2ME Specs and Strategy
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 16:08:18 GMT
David suggests:

> but as i said - i just mentioned JINI again, cause Noel was mentioning
> that Sun might push better mobile devices cause the do have a interest in
> rolling out JINI onto every device.

Reality would seem to contradict this statement.  Sun has been pushing
MIDP/CLDC/CDC onto these devices (and very successfully I might add).  Jini
has never had the support of the executive suite at Sun.

My thoughts on this are that JINI capability could be added to an embedded
container (based on A5 hopefully) as a component, rather than building it into
the framework/container itself.  This allows for a wider range of contstrained
devices that can be supported (on the low end), yet still provides avanced
capabilities (dynamic service discovery, JINI, JXTA, etc...) for those devices
that can handle it.  In many cases, it would make more sense to adopt just the
JINI/JXTA concepts rather than the whole kit and caboodle those technologies
come with.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com