avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Containerkit
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 08:20:20 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote

> Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>>  b) absorbing of containerkit into Phoenix (giving it x.x.phoenix
>>> packages).
>>

>> Given the speed the "common ground" discussions are taking I think
>> this is the best compromise. I am a bit concerned about later
>> backwards compatibility (if the final "common meta setup" we agree
>> upon deviates a lot from the one currently used in
>> containerkit/info/phoenix, it'll be a lot of work to get phoenix to
>> support both).
>

> We're gong for a scrap current (meta-model) design right for uber right?

As far the meta subject is concerned I look at it as a process of
evolving based on experience, requirements and concensus.  I'm confident
the what will come out of the process will leverage a lot of we already
have and I'm also confident that the result will be different to what we
have now - more of an evolutionary step forward.  I also see this
closely related to how the the containement architecture unfolds
(keeping in mind that the meta is a small but intrinsically important
part of a container solution).

<snip>

>> I'd also like to see some notice in the phoenix documentation that
>> although the meta materials are stable codewise (and supported as
>> such), we're not too sure about some aspects yet and thus that there
>> may be big changes in future versions (as we already know this, users
>> should know too :D).
>

> I don't see why Phonix has to carry adverts for meta (which it does
> not use).  Meta is in sandbox right?

I think the reference to "meta" (lowercase) above is in the context of
"meta-model" development in general (i.e. its not referring to the Meta
package).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell