avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Requirements for implementing Cocoon Blocks
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 08:06:12 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Nicola,
>
>>> Some separation of Cocoon kernel services from Cocoon using webapps
>>> with (I'm guessing) the need for some Avalon lifecycle interfaces to
>>> be honored for this type of Cocoon deployment. Particularly
>>> ServiceManager.
>>

>> Sorry Paul, I don't get this. Too concise ;-)
>> Could you please expand? Thanks.
>

> I love code examples :
>
>   CocoonKernelUsingCocoonServlet  extends HttpServlet, implements
> Serviceable, Startable  {        public void doGet( // blah ) { // blah }
>        public void service( ServiceManager sm) { // blah }
>        public void start() { // blah }
>        public void stop() { // blah }
>   }
>
> I.e. the Servlet container also (non servlet spec) provides Avalon
> lifecycle to servlet (if implemented as ever).

Here is another way of thinking about the same thing:

   SomeClass extends SomeThing implements
     SomeLoggingStrategy, SomeConfigurationStrategy,
     SomeContextualizationStrategy,
     SomeInitizationStrategy,
     SomeExecutionStrategy,
     SomeDisposalStrategy
   {
        // the logging interface matching
        // the strategy

        // the configuration interface matching
        // the strategy

        // the contextualization interfaces matching
        // the strategy

        // the initialization interfaces matching
        // the strategy

        // the executioninterface matching
        // the strategy

        // the disposal interfaces matching
        // the strategy
   }

Then combine the above with a container that understands the notion of
strategies and has a rock-solid default strategy based on Avalon 4
another for Avalon 5 and support for plug-in custom strategies (e.g.
Commons Logging, Mailets?, Servlets, etc.).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org