avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why J2ME? (was Re: [A5:RT] Minimum J2ME Specs and Strategy)
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 01:21:39 GMT
David W. wrote:
> Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
>
>>the Cell Phone/PDA assumtion only works if you are focusing
>>on the enterprise sector. allthough according to Forrester
>>currently 43% of IT executives are thinking that mobility
>>doesen't matter within their bussiness processes.
>>
>>additionally how would you make clear that your sister/brother
>>needs a cell phone that runs an avalon container ;-)
>>
>>so if somebody refers to the consumer sector while talking
>>about avalon enabled cell phones, i would say there is
>>definitly no need for such a thing ;-)
>>
>>allthough there are great potentials in the enterprise sector
>>if it comes to Java enabled cell phones or handhelds.
>

> I'm not even sure the enterprise sector needs Avalon on a cellphone.  Is
> this just frivolity that's going to freeze Avalon progress or is J2ME
> support genuinely useful?
>
> Although it's nice to imagine the power of Avalon on the client side, slow
> down for a second and read the Jakarta mission statement (but then, Avalon
> is moving out of Jakarta, if I understand correctly).  Apache is a place for
> developing *server-side* software.  Who runs a server on a cellphone?  If
> the framework is lightweight and flexible, let someone who needs it try to
> create a J2ME container at sourceforge or privately.

I was counting the messages on this thread before some wise person would
say something about this.

Let me remind you that Avalon is a server side framework and it was
designed to be that way and the ASF created a project to substain that.

Can we make it client-side as well? sure, with a lot of painful rethinking.

Should we? I'd say no, there are already enough irons in the fire.

Say you come up with back incompatible changes for A5 and say that you
go around the projects based on A4 telling them that you had to do those
changes to be compatible with J2ME.

Do you *seriously* think they would follow your changes and modify
something that works perfectly as it is to match some elegance concepts
that apply to platforms they are not even interested in?

Please, people, thinking is nice and cool, but this is *NOT* an
accademic research project, it's a framework that must be *rock solid*
for several other communities to base their hard work on for years to come.

*this* is way more important than any J2ME support, or you are basically
asking for a fork.