avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] LogKit Release Plan
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:29:41 GMT
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:01, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> #1  Remove circular dependency on Framework
> The particular class that forces the dependency is an "Avalon"
> formatter that can handle the nested exceptions from Avalon.
> It is a hold-over from when we did a first release after we
> moved to Jakarta.  I think it is relatively safe to remove the
> class as it merely extends the correct version.  It has been
> deprecated from about the second release.

I would prefer to leave it in. We should not be breaking backwards
compatability in released code for anything as silly as academic purity. If
you want to break the dependency chain then do the following;

From memory the formatter uses avalons ExceptionUtil to get the cause of the
exception so it can printout nested exceptions. I would recomend what you do
is copy the ExceptionUtil code into the formatter in logkit package (or at
least the reflection based part of it).

That way we don't break backwards compatability.

> #2  Maven integration for build

mavens kool but I can't see a need to fix anything that aint broke. We can
always do it later.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald