avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: cvs repository symlink
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:58:19 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Symlinks are always dangerous, and I especially worry about them in a CVS
> > repository.
>
> didn't know that...hmm. We do have a few, don't we?

Um, yeah, too many.  Let's not create more.  I'll address removing the
remaining ones in a separate email to infrastructure@.

I mainly worry about whether an action like that corrupts the repository
in some subtle way.  Imagine if someone checks out both the part of
the repos that appears under the symlink, and the original name for that
link itself, changes each copy separately, then (without thinking) checks
both in at the same time.  I don't know what'll happen, so I'm not trying
to spread FUD, I'm just trying to completely eliminate the possibility of
something going wrong.

> > Can we just rename them, and then modify the modules file to
> > tell people who try and check out or update jakarta-avalon[-site] about
> > the new module name?
>
> sounds good to me, but maybe I'm missing something....avalon
> people...objections anyone?

So, to be clear: what we're doing is

a) renaming /home/cvs/jakarta-avalon[-$foo] to /home/cvs/avalon[-$foo]
b) putting something temporary in the cvs/modules file that when someone
   goes to update or commit under the old name, tells them to go to the
   new one.
c) chgrp'ing /home/cvs/avalon-* to group "avalon", which all of you are
   in.
d) for now, making sure that commits to the avalon modules goes to the
   "right place" at the avalon-*-cvs@jakarta lists, but eventually moving
   that to *-cvs@avalon.apache.org.

> - learn about how the website is published and updated, see if it is
> smart & feasible to use forrest
> - clean up the website (someone calculated avalon's got an 80 meg
> website, somewhat ridiculous)
> - move website

Well, there's currently nothing in /www/avalon.apache.org.  Something's
better than nothing.  :)

> - rename mailing lists (someone said somewhere I think that this might
> be somewhat difficult; it's not a high priority)

Not hard at all, just requires some coordination between Pier and myself.

	Brian