avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove all author tags from all source code files
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:28:33 GMT
On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:34:32AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I thought that this issue had been addressed, but I can't find the vote
> results, if we had a vote.
>
> Thus, I'm asking to vote on this issue.
>
> Do you want that all @author tags and all reference to authors of source
> code files be removed from the files themselves? The information about
> the authors will still be present in commit messages and in the site
> credits.

I assume this is a majority vote..

-1.

Author info is frequently useful.  Code moves around, and CVS histories
get lost.  Code gets copied into foreign (non-OSS) codebases.

Also, contributors get a kick out of seeing their name in lights.  I
remember I did, when I contributed my first OSS patch to Log4j (way back,
before it migrated to Apache) and Ceki added my name to Category.java.
It is a small - but to some - important piece of recognition we can give
to contributors.

Besides, I believe we're all adult enough not to let @author tags get in
the way of community code ownership.

--Jeff