avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Avalon and JMX?
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:27:29 GMT
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:52, Peter Donald wrote:
> In most cases I consider JMX great for coarser grained components. In the
> end JMX is just the naming/plumbing part of "application server". I think
> it is great from a management perspective and for starting up coarse
> grained components but I don't think it works for fine grained components.
> In coarse grain components the slight overhead causes no worrys.

A few people have asked me to describe what the difference is between coarse
and fine grained components. However I don't think there is any hard and fast
rules for that.

I guess I see things that are mostly "standalone" components as things that
would be candidates for JMX deployment/management. ie
* web server
* mail server
* directory server
* database server

Most of them are relatively independent from each other. Interesting scenarios
happen when you incorporate components such as a web interface to directory
server. This "component" depends upon both the web server and directory
server components. I would still make it controllable by JMX but it would be
the deployer or the unit itself that would have to manage dependencies.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald