avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Our site is too big
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:10:23 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:24, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > You recall incorrectly. I would oppose dropping the ability to use anakia
> > or whatever because those tools are much simpler and majority of our docs
> > do not require complexities of cocoon.
>
> Forrest, we are talking about Forrest. And Forrest is really simple to
> use, not complex.

Having used it as a user and not a developer - I disagree.

> > However I notice that our doc builds are still not being maintained in
> > any way shape or form and our website is still screwed in places ... Is
> > it just me or would anyone else like to see them being maintained before
> > any effort at changing to a more complex system that will take even more
> > effort to maintain?
>
> Forrest is not more complex to use. So it isn't at all related with
> maintainability with regards to this aspect.

see above.

> On the contrary, if we move all docs to the *same* format and buildtool,
> it will certainly be easier to maintain.

depends on the tool.

> You have always had a "Just Do It" attitude on it.

Actually I had a "Someone else do it" attitude. For about 1.5 years I begged
someone to fix our documentation system. No one did. Theres was lots of
people talking, lots of people saying they will do it but no action. So I
started to fix our website. Funnily enough - as soon as I stopped fixing our
website it got even worse and to this day is still unmaintainined. Who would
have thunk it?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 Mark Twain: "In the real world, the right thing never
happens in the right place at the right time. It is
the task of journalists and historians to rectify
this error."