avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Use Maven as official build tool
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:16:19 GMT
On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 18:12, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> > Once Continuum works I think that Sam will be pleased as he's always
> > encourage a reimplementation of Gump, or at least been in favour of one.
>
> Can it be bootstrapped from source?

My first priority is the behavior which I described many moons ago where
you could pick the point in the graph where you wanted to start with
sources. So this is for a project.

I could certainly give instructions to anyone who wanted to try and
duplicate exactly what Gump does but I don't think many projects will be
that interested to be honest. Continuum will definitely work more along
the lines of Cruise Control which is what is useful to most projects.

But I think it would be fairly easy. The bootstrap process in Maven uses
a simple SAXHandler and picks things out of the POM for bootstrapping. I
could probably write a little utility in 10 minutes that could take a
POM and extract the elements required to compile the project sources.
The tool only requiring the JDK. So if that would that satisfied your
requirements for what you desire I would make that in order to replace
Gump.

> - Sam Ruby

jvz.

Jason van Zyl