avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] PMC Voting Process
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:14:30 GMT
Regarding who gets to vote - there appears to be a disagreement
between Stephen and Berin.

Berin has a two-step vote for the Normal Majority Vote:
First, every committer votes, and if the vote passes the
PMC votes on it. Stephen limits this to PMC-only.

There is also an issue where discussion prior to vote should be
held:

Stephen: avalon-dev OR avalon-pmc
Berin:   avalon-dev

Given that the Chair has dictator rights, how about picking the
choices that gives the most flexibility and trust the Chair to
step in and force it if needed?

So:

  In the first case, we keep the two-step voting process. The
  Chair can overrule the committer vote if needed.

This means that we give committers (but not PMC members)
representation, but not to the point where they can block the
PMC doing what is really a PMC vote. The committers get
representation, but we clearly state that the PMC (and the Chair)
can overrule in extreme cases (that should never happen).

  In the second case, we allow discussion to take place on
  avalon-pmc, and the Chair can force the discussion to be held
  on avalon-dev if needed.

I think this will make the "general case" not requiring Chair
intervention, and special cases handled by the Chair. Allowing
the discussion to take place on the pmc list is only a problem
if something that should be open is kept with in the pmc list.
That said, I recognize that there are things that shouldn't be
discussed in public, and we should not commit ourselves to
a procedure that ignores that and requires everything to be
public. (Consider the board discussion leading to Peter D.'s
suspension, I don't think it would have been to anyone's advantage
if the reasons for the suspension (private emails etc.) had been
laid out in public.)

/LS