avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: [general][attributes][clazz][A5] metadata & the java world
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:30:23 GMT
> From: Stepanossov, Kirill [mailto:kstepano@lehman.com]
>
> JSR 175 "A Metadata Facility for the JavaTM Programming
> Language" is going
> to be released by the end of this year as the part of J2SE 1.5 "Tiger"
> release.
>
> From JSR 175 home page :
>
> 2.5 Please give a short description of the underlying technology or
> technologies:
> A Java programming language feature for metadata, plus a
> runtime format for
> metadata information, plus runtime APIs for accessing
> metadata information

That sounds encouraging, but like all JSRs we don't see squat until
everything is already decided.  At that time it has the attitude of
"ok, bless what I have done wether you like it or not."  That is one
of my major gripes with the whole JCP.

I like the way that .Net implements attributes, and I would like to
have a Java version of that.

Furthermore, we at Avalon would not be wise if we said that you
couldn't use Avalon 5 unless you upgrade to JDK 1.5.  Even if
JDK 1.5 provides many enhancements for us, it ties our hands as
to who can use it.  The container can use JDK 1.5 features once
it is released, but the client/component should not be limited
to that.