avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@citi-us.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Remove all author tags from all source code files
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:00:50 GMT
> From: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:noel@devtech.com]
>
> Communities should not use author tags to fall back on why code isn't
> maintained.  Contributors should not see author tags as
> suggesting that an
> author be consulted before making a change.  I know that some
> of you would
> like to be consulted, but if there is any consultation over
> some code, it
> should be directed to the Community.

That is one of my complaints.  Everytime someone has consulted
me on a proposed change, I took an obligatory look at it, but
most of the time I just said "commit it!".  There is only one
time I can think of where I suggested we talk about it first--
and that suggestion is used in both Fortress and Merlin now.

In my mind, @author != owner.  ASF == owner.  There are many
changes in Fortress that I personally would not have made, but
nevertheless Fortress is better because it has had community
support.  It isn't my code.  It is community code.  Nevertheless,
I have a feeling I wouldn't appreciate it if all my code ripped
away the credit for what I did.

If we wanted to *add* a community "Avalon Developers Group" to
the files that are already there, then lets do that.  As to each
little project while we have them, we need to let them decide
their policy.  Remember there is at least one author who is still
active in the community who can't defend their contributions
right now.