avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "David W" <weitzma...@hotmail.com>
Subject Avalon 5 lifestyles, SEDA
Date Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:07:31 GMT
I notice the mention of SEDA at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonFiveArchitectureProposal.
For anyone who hasn't come across it, SEDA is a model for high-performance
event-based programming (more information is available at
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/.  The thesis paper basically says
it all).

It hadn't occurred to me before that Avalon was an appropriate base for
SEDA, but I realize that a flexible component threading specification and
some sort of optional load monitering interfaces and perhaps event queue
components would allow Avalon 5 to implement SEDA very cleanly and
tranparently -- and with all the advantages of other Avalon services.

I tried to mess with Sandstorm (the prototype SEDA implementation) but all
the makefile nonsense prevented me from ever compiling it properly, and as
clear as the thesis is I can't figure out what the heck the code is doing.
As far as I know there isn't another freely available implementation.

If Avalon 5 implemented SEDA, that might greatly increase it's appeal to the
high-performance server apps crowd.  I would also be interested in working
on it (note that I'm a young computer geek interested in algorithmic
nonsense, not a professional seeking a solution).

Anyway, that's just my burst of interest for the day.

David Weitzman