avalon-dev mailing list archives

From david.g...@hic.gov.au
Subject Re: [Avalon4:Fortress] Eating Crow (was Changes to RoleManager)
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:39:01 GMT

Again Bloch advocates documenting all exceptions in javadoc including
unchecked exceptions using the @throws tag.

Stephen McConnell <mcconnell@apache.org> on 13/12/2002 15:24:09

Please respond to "Avalon Developers List" <avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

To:    Avalon Developers List <avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:

Subject:    Re: [Avalon4:Fortress] Eating Crow (was Changes to RoleManager)

david.gray@hic.gov.au wrote:

>In "Effective Java" Joshua Bloch favours the use of standard exceptions
>(specifically NullPointerException and IllegalArgumentException) but
>(presumably) with sufficient error message details to diagnose the cause.

The last point is the real issue - "sufficient error message detail". We
are all familiar with the problem of the standard null argument NPE and
the pain of tracking it down - however, a properly constructed NPE
(typically with the parameter name as the message) is perfectlyb
workable and usable.  I also think that methods throwing NPE should
document this in their javadoc and method signatures.

NOTICE - This message is intended only for the use of the
addressee named above and may contain privileged and
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action based upon it.  If you
received this message in error please notify HIC immediately.
the views of HIC.