avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [vote] context key string format
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 23:10:00 GMT
> We have spent a lot of time removing the need for parsed lookup keys for
> ServiceManager/ComponentManager.

Why?  What issues did you have?

And with respect to new development, I don't believe that I imagined other
folks supporting the idea of using RFC 2141, and using the NID and NSS to
address sub-contexts, and to provide the flexibility for the sub-contexts to
determine whether or not they want to parse the NSS or just use it as a
lookup key.

The ability to federate multiple service providers within a context is a
simple, elegant and powerful approach.  The overhead is minimal, the
approach is consistent.

> Separating out namespace from local name using a ":" is already accepted
as a
> convention I believe.

OK, so then you do agree with "separating", just not "parsing"?  Fine.  Then
don't define any of the provided contexts to parse their NSS.

> Prefixing everything with "urn:" is unecessary noise.

The prefix is part of RFC 2141.  Why?  "Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are
intended to serve as persistent, location-independent, resource identifiers
and are designed to make it easy to map other namespaces (which share the
properties of URNs) into URN-space. Therefore, the URN syntax provides a
means to encode character data in a form that can be sent in existing
protocols, transcribed on most keyboards, etc."

	--- Noel