avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Our site is too big
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:18:15 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>

> If we decide to set up an avalon CVS module and put all content in
> there, I can start the restructuring, and we can work
> together to put it
> in better shape.
>

> If you want to propose, then +1 from me--although we need to determine
> what is the long-term structure of the CVS archive going to look like?
> We should pick a scalable strategy.

Initial take:

-- avalon
   -- legal
   -- lib
   -- src--java
         --test
         --deprecated
         --documentation
         --resources

This is as clean IMHO as it can be with one codebase.

>  We should also be vigilant about
> identifying and removing cruft.  I.e. if something has been deprecated
> for two or three minor releases (which happens to be about a year or
> two) then we might want to look at removing it.

In Cocoon I'm moving all deprecated classes in a separate subdir, so
that they are built after the core.
Guess what, the core now doesn't compile without them! ;-O
So my take is that moving classes in a different subdir upon deprecation
is a good thing. There it's easier to remove after some time, it's easy
to see.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -