avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon 5 lifestyles, SEDA
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:39:50 GMT

David W wrote:
> I notice the mention of SEDA at
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonFiveArchitectureProposal.
> For anyone who hasn't come across it, SEDA is a model for high-performance
> event-based programming (more information is available at
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/.  The thesis paper basically says
> it all).
>
> It hadn't occurred to me before that Avalon was an appropriate base for
> SEDA, but I realize that a flexible component threading specification and
> some sort of optional load monitering interfaces and perhaps event queue
> components would allow Avalon 5 to implement SEDA very cleanly and
> tranparently -- and with all the advantages of other Avalon services.
>
> I tried to mess with Sandstorm (the prototype SEDA implementation) but all
> the makefile nonsense prevented me from ever compiling it properly, and as
> clear as the thesis is I can't figure out what the heck the code is doing.
> As far as I know there isn't another freely available implementation.

IMHO SEDA should become integral part of out Avalon5 spec, and it's a
big breakthrough that would give Avalon-based servers and services a
clear advantage.

> If Avalon 5 implemented SEDA, that might greatly increase it's appeal to the
> high-performance server apps crowd.  I would also be interested in working
> on it (note that I'm a young computer geek interested in algorithmic
> nonsense, not a professional seeking a solution).

Berin should know more about it and guide you to giving us concrete help
on this matter.

> Anyway, that's just my burst of interest for the day.

Hope it lasts longer :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -