avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exceptions (was: RE: [Avalon4:PROPOSAL] Context Consensus)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:33:05 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I (as spokesperson for Merlin) can gaurantee you that the object
>>provided to you will be castable to you requested interface and
>>that it will be supplid with the requested keys fully populated
>>and that each key value will be castable to the requested interface.
>>

>Well, I'm not a big fan of such dependency upon external configuration
>files, but that's a moot point.  You can do that in the context (small c) of
>current Avalon containers and conditions.
>
>However, we've already seen one developer wanting to expand Avalon to use
>JINI, for example.  Any component can ask for any other component at any
>time in a dynamically populated environment.  How do you expect to make JINI
>compliant, or any other dynamically populated environment?  I understand
>that you don't expect to be there before AV5.

It's not an issue - this is simply a component implementation - and if
that implentation does something worg, then the container has to act to
rectify the situation (whatever the particular status of the component).
 The container does not care about JNDI - it only cares about specific
states of the components it is managing + the components that are
depedent on that component.  If that target component fuctions within
the guidlines of the A4.1 contract then fine - otherwise its a case of
handling damage control (which is a semi-complex exercise).

On the subject of the seperation of a single source from meta-info ..
yes I agree that its not perfect, but I also think this is oniy a
question of build tools.  Today, I'm not convinced that the meta API is
totally what we want and as such I'm not about to ivest time into those
tools - it much more production to get the meta rights - then make the
code/meta synchronization an automatic process.

One step at a time ....

:-)

Steve.

--