avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Altrmi] a future ?
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:26:41 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:
> Nicola,
>

>>>Its been pointed out to me that the name 'AltRMI' is a bit daft as its
>>>not quite anything (TLA, FLBP, abbr, abstract). DRMI (Distributed RMI)
>>>is thought to be better.  Anyway given that I am too close to the woods
>>>to see the trees, perhaps others could offer their opinion.
>>
>>Given that Alt-RMI means Old-RMI to Germans, and that DRMI is redundant,
>>what about:
>>
>>  T-RMI (transparent RMI)
>
> Taken by another project @ sourceforge.
>

>>  X-RMI (extendable  RMI)
>
> or eXtreme ?

;-)  The X is always easy to mold into anything.

Also RMI-II, RMI-2, RMI-NG, ... just other suggestions

>>  E-RMI (easy RMI)
>>

>>>Also seeing as we are rationalising what is going on here in Avalon (the
>>>project), perhaps some ideas as to a destiny could be offered.
>>
>>I'm using AltRMI myself these days, and I would make this proposal.
>
> :-)

Thanks to Marcus that put instrumentation in Cocoon and made me take a
deep look at how it's done, since I am working on making a debugger.

Also Xindice uses now XMLRPC for transport, I suggested Gianugo about
using AltRMI. HE needs a special transport to move compiles SAX events,
what could be done?

>>1) EOB asks to be part of Jakarta
>>2) EOB moves from SF to incubator.apache.org
>>3) altrmi becomes a package of EOB
>>4) EOB+Altrmi are a Jakarta sub-project
>

> All good ideas.
>
> Given that Avalon becomes top level, wil we not have our own front page?

Yup.

> We are purging non A-F
> ising frameworks to commons, but what about larger efforts?

Not really decided. ATM we are focusing on Avalon framework and
derivatives (impls), EOB is not (yet?) in the picture.

> It seems to me that Enterprise (CORBA ORB) FtpServer and others have a home there.  EOB
could
> aspire to that position I guess.  Do we have a policy on what will happen to our front
page?

Nope. Let's see what others think.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -