avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote:Avalon4] fortress
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:08:26 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]
>
> What to use? Basically it would depend on what you want to
> deploy to. If you
> are writing a standalone server of some kind I would suggest
> using Phoenix.
> If you are writing something to embed inside other apps (like
> in a webapp)
> then the only released container is ECM ... which implements
> things in a way
> we no longer approvie of. In which case I would recomend Fortress.
>
> I have crossed this to avalon-dev so hopefully someone will
> be able to give
> you more of an idea of when Fortress is lined up for release.
>

> The big reason for the delay actually has to do with the fact
> that Avalon is now a TLP, and it wasn't a good time for the
> community to force something out the door.
>
> Because Avalon is ready for a release, and was being prepared
> for it prior to Avalon PMC, I would like to now get consensus
> on releasing Fortress 1.0 to the public.  It is the result of
> the efforts of myself, Marcus Crafter, Stephen McConnel (he
> helped in some places), Leo S. (can't remember if it was Sutic
> or Simmons :/ ), and Peter D. (cleanups).  There were, I believe,
> other developers helping out here and there.  There are people
> impatiently waiting for it.
>
> Vote for Fortress 1.0 release for our user's happiness?

-0

Usually I would have voted positively, but ATM, I don't see the value
for users of using Fortress as released versus unreleased, given that
there are still important unresolved issues about the future container.
Instead, I see that we will have to support something that we already
know is going to be different from the new solution we are carving.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -