avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: gump entry for containerkit
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:28:04 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:

> Leo Sutic wrote:
>

>>> What does concerns me, however, is when knowledge of such events and
>>> fail to spark a dialog.  Particuarly, when this is all within the
>>> scope of a single project.
>>

>>  + People developing Phoenix have in some instances been completely
>>    unaware of Avalon.
>

> Clearly somebody committed a change to phoenix creating a depencency
> on what is now excalibur-info in the sandbox.  Furthermore, there has
> been plenty of notifications that the current version of info has
> diverged from what phoenix needs.
>
>> In short - there is a major chasm here. Result: When things like this
>> happen, people will just think "not my problem". I know I did.
>

> It very much concerns me when there is a PMC full of people, all of
> whom consider this not their problem.

It very much concerns me where there is considerable pressure on one
hand to be non-devisive (i.e. no -1s) and on the otherhand, the
suggestion that someone thinks that the PMC in general thinks its not
our problem.  Yes it is our problem - the only issue is when do we bite
the bullet and bring Phoenix into Avalon. That will require effort and
resource and will.  I don't think those ingridients will be available
until we get the container API in place.  In the meantime we have two

  (b) the easy option

       Let Phoenix development continue in an independent path.

  (a) the hard option

       Stop further divergence of Phoenix.

Cheers, Steve.

> - Sam Ruby