avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Locators
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:17:31 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen,
>
>Well, I don't think that we're quite agreeing, yet, but we'll get there.
>:-)

I have every confidence!

>Personally, I think you are too focused on static assembly, and how things
>are done in the code today.

Static? Don't thinks so.
How things are done today ? Maybe.

>For one thing, I would be perfectly happy to discard backward compatibility
>to get a clean, forward-reaching, stable solution.  I'll change the code in
>James if we get value from it.  Heck, we've had to change it enough times
>already tracking changes to the interfaces.  What's one more if it finally
>gets us to a non-fragile interface?  We're not talking about everything;
>we're talking about a couple of very important areas that appear to need it.
>
>So why not start clean, and see what comes out?

1. Because I have a lot of 4.1 content.
2. Because I want to provide a seamless migration path.
3. Because I don;t see a conflict at this tiime.

>Hypothesize that a component sees a single Context.

OK

>>From that Context, it
>can request other objects.  OK, how do they get there?  Well, I would argue
>that there are two distinct issues:
>
>  1) Registration of top level context domains with the Context.

OK

>  2) Registration of objects with context domains.

OK

>I maintain that those are two separate issues.

Agreed.

>The Context should only be
>concerned with registration of context domains.  I referred to them as top
>level with the idea that in theory a JNDI context domain *could* in theory
>have some further sub-domains, but that is it's problem, not the Context's.

Yep, agreed.

>Objects are registered with the context domain into which they go, not with
>contexts.

Yep - the thinking I have concerning Locator is that it represents a
single context domain.

Emails yesterday from Leo Sutic and myself were digging into the
multiple context domain issue.

>And although we would want to define a general common mechanism,
>there might be others.  For example, consider Chad Stansbury's comment that
>someday he expects to retrieve JINI services via a Context.  We wouldn't do
>ANY assembly within the domain!  The only thing that you can and should know
>is to associate that context domain with the Context.  The context domain
>will have to take care of itself.  In point of fact, the contents of that
>domain would change over time.

No problem.

>On the other hand, for the standard context domains that are defined by the
>container profiles, we will probably have a more typical model.  I might
>register a factory for a given implementation class, and associate that with
>a namespace specific key in a specified domain.  Perhaps something like:
>
>  <context-domain name="ns" factory="cdf">
>     <contents>
>       <object name="config-name" key="ns-key" />
>     </contents>
>  </context-domain>
>
>  <object name="config-name" factory="ojbf" >
>     <dependencies>
>       <object uri="URI" />
>     </dependencies>
>  </object>
>
>That is off-the-cuff, and intended only to convey a specific concept.  The
>first element declares a domain with some contents, the second one defines
>an object that happens to have some dependencies.  The domain is responsible
>for dealing with its own child elements.  In this case, there is a block
>telling it about some objects to populate itself with.  The domain is also
>free to declare other objects on its own.  The object is saying that it has
>dependencies that it would like enforced by the container.  Note that
>although we can use a namespace specific key within the context-domain
>definition, we use the full URI when defining a dependency because the
>contract is that only a domain knows about its contents.

What your describing is almost one-to-one with what I have in mind with
the locator abstraction.  The only difference is that I'm seperating out
the context domain as a meta-based service within supplimentary
information concerning keys.

Consider the following:

  <!--
  From the DemoComponent.xinfo file.
  This is a container-side component that handles the establishment of a
  DemoLocator service. It declares dependecies on the standard avalon