avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] PMC Resolution Voting Process
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:01:56 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

>"layman" version of the text below; I think this is for all practical
>purposes the same but it reads a little easier (the trick: use a
>1000-word vocabulary ;). If it is indeed the same for practical purposes
>(Steve?) then I'm happy with the proposal I think.

The text (for all practical purposes) is the same as the proposal.  This
is exactly the sort of thing I would image on a web page that descibes
the policies and procedures concerning decision making.  That same web
page would also provide a link to the formal document.

>Could someone please compare these procedures with the ones the board
>follows (Steve)? The only obvious difference I see is the time scale
>(for the board I believe the time scale is "one board meeting"). But the
>board always follows 1/2 majority vote, no?

Have already been through the board procedures a coupleof times.  Its
difficult because the board procedures focus on classic meeting
requirements - i.e. people and proxies.  Its also the full gambit of
issues (membership, positions, responsibilities, etc.) whereas this
thread is dealing with the bootstrap issue of establishing agreement on
how to agree. Within this context my take is basically the same as yours
- the differences appear to be:

  * time scale (because votes are not withing the scope of a meeting)
  * 2/3 majority on modification of charter or procedures (which just
    means that we are placing a higher emphasis on concensus on
    potential modification to the charter and bylaws than the board
    does - but that's ok too)
  * notification is per vote as opposed to minutes of a meeting

On the subject of the desciptive text, I think it a good description of
the process. In fact I think it would be a good idea to put this into a
HTM file or doc source as part of the overall documentation about the
PMC purpose and process.

Cheers, Steve.

>cheers,
>
>- Leo
>
>PMC Voting procedures
>---------------------
>(a) Prior to the voting
>
>votes are handled through e-mail. They only take place after that what
>has been voted upon has been discussed and people have had a chance to
>say their says. Votes are clearly identified as being votes by marking
>the subject field of the e-mail with "[VOTE]". This to make the
>difference between a vote and other discussion quite clear.
>
>(b) Representation
>
>A representative part of the PMC needs to vote on a proposal for it to
>be valid. This representative part is called quorum, and quorum needs to
>be at least three (3) and not less than half of the PMC members (50% of
>the PMC members, rounded up to the nearest nonfractional number).
>
>(c) Conventions
>
>Voting on matters placed before the PMC is restricted to the members of
>the PMC. Votes may be expressed in support, opposition, or abstention in
>accordance with the following conventions:
>
>       +1  a vote supporting the motion
>       +0  a vote of supportive abstention
>       -0  a vote of non-supportive abstention
>       -1  a vote opposing the motion
>
>A member may vote multiple times. The last vote is the vote that counts.
>
>(d) Qualified Majority Vote
>
>Votes on modification to and amendment of the PMC Charter or on
>modification to or amendment of this document require a 2/3 majority.
>
>(e) Normal Majority Vote
>
>Votes that do not fall under (d) require a 1/2 majority.
>
>(f) Vote Duration
>
>Voting is normally open for one week. If quorum (see (c)) is not met
>within that week, the voting remains open one more week, but no more. As
>soon as quorum has been met in that second week, the vote is closed. If
>quorum is not met after that second week, the vote is considered failed.
>
>(g) After the voting
>
>After a vote is closed, the results of that vote are summarised in an
>e-mail where the subject field is marked with "[VOTE-RESULT]".
>

>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy