avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Charter.txt
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:19:29 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>>

>>> The idea is nice, but don't think it would scale. If 40 projects
>>> start depending on Avalon? And depending on which grounds?
>>> I repeat, I like the idea, let's see if we can make this thing into
>>> something.
>>

>> The idea is to provide a mechanism where other projects can have
>> representation.  Perhaps we can limit the elegible projects to
>> those who have a minimum number of active committers?  I.e. if
>> it has a healthy community like JAMES or Cocoon, they should be
>> eligible to have representation.  If it is a one man project
>> or a two-three man project, then they should be involved as
>> individuals.
>

> Hmmm... if representation is about making themselves heard they
> already do it on the mailing lists. But I think you are talking about
> full voting rights in the PMS, and I like the idea of having this kind
> of concrete representation.
>
> In many states there are two parliamentary branches, and in some one
> is about regions/states. What about having an Avalon uoter-project PMC
> branch... hmmm, mind me, I'm really dumping my thoughts here, I like
> the idea and wabt to find a solution...
>
> Ir simply stating that a certain % of the PMC is voted regularly by
> Avalon-using projects by voting people that are not necessarily Avalon
> committers.
>
> IE every year the committers of projects that the Avalon PMC decides
> are part of the voting can vote let's say 20% of the PMC from people
> that are not necessarily part of the Avalon community.

Its easy - give the standing chair discression.

>>> I'd also like to see the chair nominated by all the committers, not
>>> only the PMC. This would make the PMC truly representative of the
>>> community while keeping the entrance by invitation to the PMC.
>>

>> Ok.  How about this for the chair position:
>>
>> * Any of the PMC members are eligible for the chair position.
>

> ok.

Qualification requested:

   * any of the proposed PMC members are elegible for the chair position

   * or, following election of the PMC members, the new PMC alects
     the new chair (this feels like the best option to me) - chair
     handlover occurs at the next board meeting

>> * The community decides which of the PMC members are nominated
>>   to the position.
>

> community as in all mailing list subscribers? ok.

Disagree - I think the chair should be elected by the PMC.

>> * The PMC makes the final vote on the Chair based on the
>>   nominated individuals.
>

> I'd say the committers all, not only the PMC. The Chair, like a
> "president", should represent all the community, not only the PMC.
> Hence all can suggest the name and committers can thus "partecipate"
> in the PMC by taking bart in the Chair votes.

Ok, I like the principal - but if your going to go down this route -
then seperate PMC memberhip elections from chair election.  Get the PMC
names established first, maybe let the PMC shortlist 3 candidates, then
give the community the final oiption.

>> * The chair position will be up for revote every 3 months.
>

> I'd say at least 6, preferably more. One year is too much, but having
> four chairs per year seems too much for me.
> Give the chair time at least to give a couple of reports to the board.

I'm ok with 6-12 months - preferabley linke to the PMC rotation.

> There is a possible issue though... the Chair now is appointed by the
> board, how can this be done? Should the board vote on this every time
> we change the chair? Hmmm...

Yep.

The standing chair stays in place until the next board meeting and his
parting obligation is to annouce his/her resignation and the nomination
of the new chair.

>>   NOTE: I don't want to impose any limitation on the number
>>   of consecutive terms a chair can serve.
>

> I agree.

Dito.

Cheers, Steve.